Sunday 7 August 2011

Is Designer Dead?- A Rant






An interesting thing happened to me the other day.I decided to buy a new pair of RayBans at the airport (duty-free, here I come!), so after trying on a few pairs and settling on one, I went to to the sales assistant to get a new pair. He looked at me as if I was crazy and said 'we don't keep stock anymore....we sell over 200 pairs a day, so our stock is all displayed'. He then proceeded to wipe the display pair and chuck it in a bag. Is this what buying designer has become? A process akin to buying a magazine from a kiosk? What exactly am I paying for?
I've had misgivings about designer goods ever since my beloved Chanel Bag started to fray around a the bottom seam. To put it in perspective, I've worn that bag less than 20 times in the past 3 years and it lives in a garment bag in a box,when not being worn.I don't leave it on the floor or anywhere in fact. I expected something so expensive to be passed down to my grandchildren (if it's frayed then, that's fine). So what IS the point of buying designer? I've had Topshop bags last for longer and all I have is the privilege of giving a particular fashion house free advertising. Surely you should get superior quality for that price, or am I just helping to pay the rent on Rue Cambon?Not to mention the lesser known fact, that the beautiful red soles on Louboutins, rub off after one wear. Nowadays, no one can afford to buy inferior goods, regardless of their income. Maybe it's time to accept that a bag is just a bag.

Dree xx

No comments:

Post a Comment